Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer reading

What are you reading this summer?

When we visited Mylène in St. Thomas and stayed at the Ritz, I wanted to see what the other half read. While there were plenty of people texting, I saw no books. Zilch. Nada. Grandmothers, hipsters, vacationing business types, teens, no one had a book open. Maybe it was too hot to read, but I thought I would see a book or two and get an idea of how the rich were different from me in their taste for novels and non-fiction.

It isn't as if I don't have any ideas for books this summer. Right now I'm reading Wolf Hall (I know, I know, that was so last summer) and Edgar Sawtell. Waiting for Stone is waiting for me on my Kindle. There's a stack of books on my nightstand and a bigger stack in the dining room (don't you have stacks of books in YOUR dining room?), but I want to know what other people are reading; I want to be a part of your discussion about your books; I want to hear about books that are so good that I will want to drop what I'm doing right now and leap into a new book.

So, what are you reading? I'm counting on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment